$6.3 million acquisition represents final purchase of inactive rail corridor in the Atlanta BeltLine loop
ATLANTA – The City of Atlanta and Atlanta BeltLine, Inc. (ABI) have closed on 1.8 miles of former railroad corridor on Atlanta’s resurgent Westside, a stretch of track informally known as “the Kudzu Line.” The purchase provides land for the mainline corridor, in addition to creating points of contact for potential spur trails that would connect the neighborhoods of Bankhead, English Avenue, Knight Park, and Howell Station.
This key piece of the Atlanta BeltLine loop will also allow for access to the Bankhead MARTA station, Maddox Park, the future Westside Park at Bellwood Quarry, as well as a future link to the newly-opened Proctor Creek Greenway.
“With each land acquisition, the Atlanta Beltline moves closer to fulfilling its promise to connect and unify the City’s many diverse neighborhoods,” said Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms. “That ambitious goal is the very embodiment of our vision for One Atlanta, a place where every resident can share in the natural beauty and economic wealth of our City, whether it be on foot, on a bicycle, on MARTA or all of the above.”
The $6.3 million purchase was entirely funded by TSPLOST, funds approved by City of Atlanta voters in 2016 for special local transportation projects. The transaction gives ABI and the City of Atlanta control of approximately 80 percent of the corridor needed to construct the Atlanta BeltLine trail and transit loop. The remaining 20%, on the north/northwest side of the loop, is active railroad and non-railroad properties.
“Today, we are one step further to connecting communities through the Atlanta BeltLine,” said Councilmember Ivory Lee Young of District 3. “This is a great day for our residents. I look forward to working with Mayor Bottoms and the Atlanta BeltLine to develop this piece of the westside corridor and bring more amenities to the Westside.”
“This small but crucial section of corridor will have a direct impact on connectivity for the west side of Atlanta,” said Brian P. McGowan, President and CEO of ABI. “Accessibility is core to building an equitable and inclusive Atlanta. This is one more step in the right direction.”
“CSX is excited to work with Atlanta BeltLine, Inc. to finalize yet another property transaction that advances ABI’s vision,” said CSX Regional Vice President of State Relations Craig Camuso. “After working earlier this year to secure the sale of a critical piece of railroad corridor for the Southside Trail, CSX and ABI continue to build momentum for this project, which will enhance connectivity among Atlanta’s neighborhoods and spur sustainable economic growth.”
Over the next six months, CSX will be removing the rails. ABI will evaluate next steps regarding converting the corridor to an interim trail. The public is prohibited from using the corridor until ABI announces that it has been brought to a safe standard.
What’s Next ATL, produced by the Atlanta Regional Commission, is a community resource that explores how metro Atlanta is growing and changing, and how the region is addressing its most pressing challenges.